With no end in sight to the unusually hot weather we are experiencing in the UK, we have collated some helpful advice to help you stay safe while working outdoors in the 2018 heatwave.
- Cover up exposed skin. Lightweight, light coloured and loose fitting clothing can help protect against heat.
- Apply a high factor sunscreen frequently – look for one with a 5 star UVA rating for the best protection.
- Wear a hat to protect your head.
- Seek shade during the hottest part of the day and take time to rest when you can.
- Drink plenty of water – try freezing bottles of water overnight and taking them with you, they’ll defrost during the day giving you cool drinking water wherever you are
- Avoid liquids such as alcohol, tea, coffee and caffeinated soft drinks as these can be dehydrating so can actually hurt instead of help.
- Check regularly for any changes to your skin and consult your doctor if you have concerns
- Be aware of the symptoms of heatstroke in yourself and those working around you. Look out for signs which include: headaches, dizziness, fast breathing, raised pulse, nausea, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, cramps in the arms, legs and stomach, a temperature above 38C and intense thirst.
- Eat cold foods. Fruit and salads have a particularly high water content which can help to keep you hydrated too.